Trump Is Done Negotiating On Health Care, Demands Vote On Friday
The Trump White House is done negotiating over repealing and replacing Obamacare, senior officials said Thursday night, and Republicans are moving ahead with a vote on their bill Friday, even though they seem to lack enough support for passage and recalcitrant conservatives and moderates continued talking.
Tension boiled over in a meeting between top administration officials ? including top strategist Steve Bannon and Chief of Staff Reince Priebus ? and Republican lawmakers hours after House leadership delayed a scheduled vote on their health care legislation Thursday. President Donald Trump, according to Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, is done negotiating, and House Republicans are scheduled to vote Friday. If the vote fails, Mulvaney said, the president was prepared to leave Obamacare in place. ... Read more
Kochs pledge millions to GOPers in 2018 -- if they vote no on health care bill
In a last-minute effort to sink the Republican health care bill, a powerful network of conservative donors said Wednesday it would create a new fund for Republican 2018 reelection races -- but they'll only open it up to GOPers who vote against the bill.
The advocacy groups helmed by Charles and David Koch have unveiled a new pool of money for advertisements, field programs and mailings that would exclude those who vote for the health care bill they oppose on Thursday. The effort, which they described as worth millions of dollars, is an explicit warning to on-the-fence Republicans from one of the most influential players in electoral politics not to cross them. ...
'I'm president, you're not': Here are the 5 craziest quotes from Trump's bonkers Time interview
President Donald Trump sat down with Time Magazine for an interview this week in which he doubled down on multiple falsehoods that he has said over the course of the past two years.
During the interview, Trump repeatedly refused to admit that he had ever said anything that was incorrect, and at times he justified spouting falsehoods by simply claiming that he was quoting "very respected" sources in the media. ...
Democracy Now! U.S. and World News Headlines for Friday, March 24 [13:20]
*Will House Republicans "Jump Off the Cliff" and Cut Healthcare for 24 Million Americans? | DN | 03/24/17 | 15:31
*Attorney for "Frozen Trucker": Neil Gorsuch May Have Been Most Hostile Judge I've Ever Encountered | DN | 03/24/17 | 9:27
Sen. Al Franken Grills Neil Gorsuch on Frozen Trucker Case in Extended Questioning | DN | 03/24/17 | 10:29
New Provisions Eliminate Healthcare From GOP 'Wealthcare' Bill | TRNN | 03/23/17 | 3:41
Trump Stooge Spectacularly Undermines Investigation | TYT | 03/23/17 | 6:42
Trump DESTROYING Wall Street Regulations | TYT | 03/23/17 | 10:44
Will Our Democracy Survive the Right-Wing Takeover? | ThomHartmann | 03/22/17 | 11:45
NPR (National Public Radio) - www.npr.org/
PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) - pbs.org/Hayes: President Donald Trump Doesn't Want Or Care About AHCA | MSNBC Chris Hayes | 03/24/17 | 7:38
Everything About This Republican Obamacare Repeal Vote Is Nuts
An unpopular president and a House Republican leadership team with a seemingly weak grasp of its own members' priorities is preparing to rush through legislation that would trade 24 million people's health coverage for a huge tax cut on wealthy households and health care corporations.
This nearly friendless plan goes by the name of the American Health Care Act, a dull title that belies not only the havoc it could wreak on the health care system but the chaos it's creating within the Republican Party, from the White House to Capitol Hill to the monied interests that fund the GOP's agenda.
The Republican health care reform bill polls poorly, has sparked protests across the country, and would have disproportionately harmful effects on the older, poorer and rural voters often credited with President Donald Trump's electoral victory while having disproportionately positive effects for well-off urbanites.
It doesn't solve the Affordable Care Act's problems, or fulfill Trump's promises to offer universal coverage or his and other Republicans' promises to reduce health care costs for consumers. ... Read more
Russian Agent, Paul Manafort, Ran Trump's Campaign
Evidence shows that Paul Manafort was influencing the Trump campaign to be more pro-Putin.**Russian Agent, Paul Manafort, Ran Trump's Campaign | TYT | 03/22/17 | 15:09
"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Before signing up with Donald Trump, former campaign manager Paul Manafort secretly worked for a Russian billionaire with a plan to "greatly benefit the Putin Government," The Associated Press has learned. The White House attempted to brush the report aside Wednesday, but it quickly raised fresh alarms in Congress about Russian links to Trump associates.
Manafort proposed in a confidential strategy plan as early as June 2005 that he would influence politics, business dealings and news coverage inside the United States, Europe and former Soviet republics to benefit President Vladimir Putin's government, even as U.S.-Russia relations under Republican President George W. Bush grew worse.
Manafort pitched the plans to aluminum magnate Oleg Deripaska, a close Putin ally with whom Manafort eventually signed a $10 million annual contract beginning in 2006, according to interviews with several people familiar with payments to Manafort and business records obtained by the AP. Manafort and Deripaska maintained a business relationship until at least 2009, according to one person familiar with the work.
"We are now of the belief that this model can greatly benefit the Putin Government if employed at the correct levels with the appropriate commitment to success," Manafort wrote in the 2005 memo to Deripaska. The effort, Manafort wrote, "will be offering a great service that can re-focus, both internally and externally, the policies of the Putin government."" ... Read more
Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer (2017)
In her new preface, Jane Mayer discusses the results of the most recent election and Donald Trump's victory, and how, despite much discussion to the contrary, this was a huge victory for the billionaires who have been pouring money in the American political system.
Why is America living in an age of profound and widening economic inequality? Why have even modest attempts to address climate change been defeated again and again? Why do hedge-fund billionaires pay a far lower tax rate than middle-class workers? In a riveting and indelible feat of reporting, Jane Mayer illuminates the history of an elite cadre of plutocrats -- headed by the Kochs, the Scaifes, the Olins, and the Bradleys -- who have bankrolled a systematic plan to fundamentally alter the American political system. Mayer traces a byzantine trail of billions of dollars spent by the network, revealing a staggering conglomeration of think tanks, academic institutions, media groups, courthouses, and government allies that have fallen under their sphere of influence. Drawing from hundreds of exclusive interviews, as well as extensive scrutiny of public records, private papers, and court proceedings, Mayer provides vivid portraits of the secretive figures behind the new American oligarchy and a searing look at the carefully concealed agendas steering the nation. Dark Money is an essential book for anyone who cares about the future of American democracy.
Obamacare repeal in jeopardy as Trump offers 11th-hour concessions
The Republican plan to replace Obamacare -- backed vehemently by President Donald Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan -- continued to bleed support from moderate House members Thursday morning just hours before an expected vote.
An effort to woo conservatives, hatched late Wednesday, appeared to backfire with other factions in the House Republican Conference, and the growing rebellion threatens to derail Trump's guarantee that he will repeal and replace the seven-year-old health care law.
"After careful deliberation, I cannot support the bill and will oppose it," Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) announced after he joined moderates for a two-hour meeting with Ryan and House leaders late Wednesday. "I believe this bill, in its current form, will lead to the loss of coverage and make insurance unaffordable for too many Americans, particularly for low-to-moderate income and older individuals." ... Read moreKeith Olbermann
The Truth Of Trump's "I Alone Can Fix It" Canard (#50) | Keith Olbermann | 03/22/17 | 8:33
Democracy Now! U.S. and World News Headlines for Thursday, March 23 [13:03]
*Jane Mayer on Robert Mercer & the Dark Money Behind Trump and Bannon's Radical Vision | DN | 03/23/17 | 19:19
We look at Robert Mercer, the man who is said to have out-Koched the Koch brothers in the 2016 election. The secretive billionaire hedge-fund tycoon, along with his daughter Rebekah, is credited by many with playing an instrumental role in Donald Trump's election. "The Mercers laid the groundwork for the Trump revolution," Trump's chief strategist Stephen Bannon said. "Irrefutably, when you look at donors during the past four years, they have had the single biggest impact of anybody, including the Kochs." Before Bannon and Kellyanne Conway joined the Trump campaign, both worked closely with the Mercers. The Mercers bankrolled Bannon's Breitbart News, as well as some of Bannon's film projects. Conway ran a super PAC created by the Mercers to initially back the candidacy of Ted Cruz. While the Mercers have helped reshape the American political landscape, their work has all been done from the shadows. To talk more about the Mercers, we speak with Jane Mayer, staff writer at The New Yorker. Her latest piece is headlined "The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency: How Robert Mercer exploited America's populist insurgency." She is also author of "Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right," which just came out in paperback.*Dark Money Billionaires Push for Pro-Nuclear Radiation Climate Denier for White House Science Post | DN | 03/23/17 | 15:52
*Dark Data: Trump Backers Bankroll Firm Developing Psychological Profiles of Every U.S. Voter | DN | 03/23/17 | 7:01
Nick Brana discusses -> Should Sanders Continue the Fight Outside the Democratic Party? | TRNN | 03/23/17 | 11:43
**Jeffrey Tayler, Contributing editor to The Atlantic, discusses -> Russia vs. USA: Who is the Threat, Who is the Aggressor? Part 2 | TRNN | 03/23/17 | 21:51
Keiser Report: Heading for Global War (E1048) | RT | 03/23/17 | 25:48
In this episode of the Keiser Report Max and Stacy discuss the racket that is war. In the second half Max talks to JP Sottile of NewsVandal.com about trumping Trump and howling at the Moonves: how corporate media raked in the big bucks pushing a reality TV star as president.
NPR (National Public Radio) - www.npr.org/
PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) - pbs.org/Donald Trump Russia Case 'More Than Circumstantial' | MSNBC Rachel Maddow | 03/22/17 | 21:33
- Keith Olbermann | 176 Shocking Things Donald Trump Has Done This Election (#01) (09/13/16) [17:25]
- Keith Olbermann | Rudy Giuliani Attacking Hillary Clinton's Health is Sick (#02) (09/19/16) [5:37]
- Keith Olbermann | Hillary was Wrong. All of Trump's Supporters Are "Deplorable" (#03) (09/20/16) [5:22]
- Keith Olbermann | How the Donald Trump Horror Flick is Stranger than Fiction (#04) (09/21/16) [5:07]
- Keith Olbermann | The Real Secret Behind Trump's Terrorism Plan (#05) (09/22/16) [7:02]
- Keith Olbermann | The Most Deplorable Thing Trump Has Done Yet (#06) (09/23/16) [6:55]
- Keith Olbermann | Trump Supporters Are Now Blaming Their Racism on Obama (#08) (09/25/16) [2:58]
- Keith Olbermann | Lists '74 Terrible Things' Donald Trump Did This Month (#09) (09/26/16) [10:33]
- Keith Olbermann | Why Donald Trump's Russian Connection is a Huuuge Problem (#10) (09/28/16) [5:11]
- Keith Olbermann | About That Other Wall Donald Trump Might Build (#11) (09/29/16) [5:39]
- Keith Olbermann | How to Gauge Hillary's Lead on Trump (#12) (09/30/16) [5:57]
- Keith Olbermann | WTF! Why is Trump Such a Weirdo About Dogs? (#13) (10/03/16) [5:06]
- Keith Olbermann | The Most Un-American Thing a Candidate Has Ever Done (#14) (10/04/16) [9:06]
- Keith Olbermann | Donald Trump's 50 Most Ridiculous Excuses (#15) (10/05/16) [6:26]
- Keith Olbermann | Trump Voters Are Angry? Here's What's Worthy of Anger (#16) (10/06/16) [7:12]
- Keith Olbermann | How Donald Trump Figures He'll Win Sunday's Debate (#17) (10/07/16) [7:38]
- Keith Olbermann | Jailing Hillary!? Trump's Outrageous Case for Dictatorship (#18) (10/10/16) [5:18]
- Keith Olbermann | Donald Trump's 30 Most Mind-Boggling Debate Moments (So Far) (#19) (10/11/16) [7:53]
- Keith Olbermann | How Would Trump Deport 11 Million People? Think About It. (#20) (10/12/16) [6:12]
- Keith Olbermann | We're Witnessing Donald Trump's Meltdown Here, Folks (#21) (10/13/16) [5:38]
- Keith Olbermann | Looks Like Trump is Now Peddling Russian Propaganda (#22) (10/14/16) [6:49]
- Keith Olbermann | Maybe Donald Trump is Really a Victim in All This (#23) (10/17/16) [7:00]
- Keith Olbermann | You're Lying to Yourself if You Think Trump is the Answer (#24) (10/18/16) [11:56]
- Keith Olbermann | The Secret Trick to Decoding Everything Donald Trump Says (#25) (10/19/16) [6:41]
- Keith Olbermann | Donald Trump Must Withdraw. Here's Why. (#26) (10/20/16) [7:12]
- Keith Olbermann | These Insane Excuses From Trump's Surrogates Are Deplorable (#27) (10/21/16) [6:50]
- Keith Olbermann | Would a Trump Win or a Foreign Invasion Be Worse? (#28) (10/24/16) [5:11]
- Keith Olbermann | This Election is Too Important Not to Vote for Hillary (#29) (10/25/16) [6:29]
- Keith Olbermann | The Normalization of Violence at Trump Rallies (#30) (10/26/16) [5:45]
- Keith Olbermann | To The Women Supporting Donald Trump... A Message (#31) (10/27/16) [5:30]
- Keith Olbermann | What's Behind Trump's Odd Infatuation with Dictators? (#32) (10/28/16) [5:24]
- Keith Olbermann | Trump is Right. This Email Debacle is Worse than Watergate (#33) (10/31/16) [7:41]
- Keith Olbermann | Is Donald Trump a Russian Agent? (#34) (11/01/16) [6:15]
- Keith Olbermann | Donald Trump and His Uncanny Resemblance to Horror (#35) (11/02/16) [8:13]
- Keith Olbermann | What is Donald Trump's Plan for Trump TV? (#36) (11/03/16) [6:45]
- Keith Olbermann | Be Angry With Donald Trump, But Not Afraid! (#37) (11/04/16) [8:17]
- Keith Olbermann | Is this the Last of Trump or a Preview of His Presidency? (#38) (11/07/16) [7:48]
- Keith Olbermann | Democracy is More Fragile Than We Think (#39) (11/08/16) [7:29]
- Keith Olbermann | The Terrorists Have Won: Donald Trump is the New President (#40) (11/09/16) [8:47]
- Keith Olbermann | The Resistance| Should We Give Donald Trump a Chance? (#01) (11/16/16) [6:10]
- Keith Olbermann | No, This is Not Normal Pre-Presidential Behavior (#02) (11/17/16) [7:16]
- Keith Olbermann | This is What Happens When You Criticize Donald Trump (#03) (11/22/16) [9:05]
- Keith Olbermann | The Surprisingly Easy Way to Get Rid of Donald Trump (#04) (11/23/16) [10:20]
- Keith Olbermann | Why Donald Trump is Not Fit to Be President (#05) (11/28/16) [4:22]
- Keith Olbermann | Can Donald Trump Possibly Believe What He's Saying? (#06) (11/30/16) [9:57]
- Keith Olbermann | "Government-Backed Attackers" May Have Hacked My Account (#07) (12/04/16) [5:32]
- Keith Olbermann | Trump is Steering Us Toward International Disaster (#08) (12/05/16) [6:51]
- Keith Olbermann | Trump May Have Just Flushed the Economy Down the Toilet (#09) (12/06/16) [5:11]
- Keith Olbermann | Let's Take a Look at Trump's Cabinet of Villains (#10) (12/08/16) [9:21]
- Keith Olbermann | Is There a Russian Coup Underway in America? (#11) (12/12/16) [6:46]
- Keith Olbermann | The Grave Danger of Trump's Intelligence Failure (#12) (12/13/16) [6:50]
- Keith Olbermann | Hamilton's Plan to Keep Trump From Becoming President (#13) (12/14/16) [8:17]
- Keith Olbermann | The Electoral College has Afirmed Donald Trump. What Now? (#14) (12/19/16) [9:37]
- Keith Olbermann | What Did Trump Know? (And When Did He Stop Knowing It?) (#16) (01/05/17) [7:42]
- Keith Olbermann | Still Supporting Donald Trump? This Message Is For You (#17) (01/06/17) [8:13]
Speeches | Platform
More News Menu
National Debt - TRILLIONS
*Demonocracyinfo | US Debt in Physical $100 bills [2:10]
United States owes a lot of money, with its debt equal to the size of the economy as of 2012. See the Statue of Liberty & WTC being dwarfed by the debt.
Five Banks Account For 96% Of The $250 Trillion In Outstanding US Derivative Exposure; Is Morgan Stanley Sitting On An FX Derivative Time Bomb?
Zero Hedge | Author | 09/24/11
The latest quarterly report from the Office Of the Currency Comptroller is out and as usual it presents in a crisp, clear and very much glaring format the fact that the top 4 banks in the US now account for a massively disproportionate amount of the derivative risk in the financial system. Specifically, of the $250 trillion in gross notional amount of derivative contracts outstanding (consisting of Interest Rate, FX, Equity Contracts, Commodity and CDS) among the Top 25 commercial banks (a number that swells to $333 trillion when looking at the Top 25 Bank Holding Companies), a mere 5 banks (and really 4) account for 95.9% of all derivative exposure (HSBC replaced Wells as the Top 5th bank, which at $3.9 trillion in derivative exposure is a distant place from #4 Goldman with $47.7 trillion). The top 4 banks: JPM with $78.1 trillion in exposure, Citi with $56 trillion, Bank of America with $53 trillion and Goldman with $48 trillion, account for 94.4% of total exposure. As historically has been the case, the bulk of consolidated exposure is in Interest Rate swaps ($204.6 trillion), followed by FX ($26.5TR), CDS ($15.2 trillion), and Equity and Commodity with $1.6 and $1.4 trillion, respectively. Read more